Friday, November 5, 2010

Why Christian Metal Bands are so important

Like most people, I used to detest any screaming whatsoever in music. I thought it was unneeded and just weird and almost...demonic. However, my one of my good friends was into screamo music and would always play it and I would sit there and fake enjoyment. Occasionally there would be a song I really enjoyed, but for the most part I hated it. This all changed when I went on Warped Tour in 2009. I began to have a like for screamo/metal and began searching for bands that were like this. The point of this isn't to tell my story of getting into Metal music, but to show exactly why the Kingdom of God needs Christian Metal Band.

So often I see people, the older folk especially, knock on Christian Metal and even degrade it. Why? I am really not to sure, but I suspect it has something to do with a change from what they are use to. When I see Christian Metal, I see another area where God can speak to people. In a nutshell, metal started off as being a very, very dark genre of music, and which I believe became really popular in Sweden (but that isn't important). The important fact is that Metal used to be basically a devil-worshipping genre at one point, and, in my experience, a lot of the fans of Metal have roots in bands that are borderline satanic or straight up are satanic.

As a prime example, I was looking at some Impending Doom videos, when I came across this guys comment:






This guy is quite explicit in saying his views on Christians. How are we suppose to ever reach him through a conversation without monstrous opposition? It would be very difficult, and maybe even fruitless. However, this guy does go on to say that he loves the sound of Impending Doom--whose message in this song talks about our God and his role:

If you wanna find heaven with me, I will show you the way.
Eternal youth, forever young, immortalize your name.
My foolish heart, put nails through me.
On his day I will be ready.
We are the children of the age, out of control, out of place, we will demolish this religion that you have made.
Nails.
Through.
Me.
If you wanna find heaven with me, I will show you the way.
Uphold my name so I can proudly claim yours.
We call you God, but are you king.
Strip me of my status, my everything, immortalize my name.
We are the children of the age.
Out of control, out of place, we will demolish this religion that you have made.
We will battle for our kingdom, we are more than conquers.


This guy that normally would most likely never even come close to a spiritual conversation is now willingly listening to a message of Christ! How amazing is that? God can work in all ways, and I truly believe Metal is one of the forerunners for letting Christ's name be known to all--even those who vehemently oppose him!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yup. Metal definitely gets the word out there to people who would otherwise never get into the it at all.

It's also kind of beautiful in a kind of brutal type of way. Heard this one before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citg52R3e7o

Adam said...

Metal isn't only popular in Sweden and extreme metal didn't even originate there. I really wish you would stop making these ridiculous blanket statements. You do it when you talk about evolution all the time, and most of the time you have no idea what you're even talking about.

One of the major differences, and why most people don't enjoy Christian based Metal is because they usually lack passion. They're main goal is typically to get a message about god across, not to play music. When music is secondary you are not going to play as well as you really could.

Now, I'm not saying the people can't be skilled musicians, anyone can become a skileld musician with practice. Being a writer is a totally different objective. Can some Christian bands mimic a sound very well? Sure they can, they can even sound pretty decent. Would I listen to them? Probably not, because other bands have done the sound better before they have even come along in most cases for me.

I should also point out that I mostly listen to Black Metal, which the sole purpose of that genre is to BE Anti-Christian. So I would never listen to a Christian Black Metal band on principle anyway, because they obviously don't get the ideaological point of the genre. Though for some reason people keep insisting that "it's just music", but that's not true in all cases. Christian Death Metal, sure you can play that, Death Metal doesn't have any ideaology behind it other than to be "brutal". Oh well, Christians have almost no respect in these situations, they only care about getting their "message" across, which is also why their music is without passion and typically boring.

Eric said...

You had a good quote in here:
"Though for some reason people keep insisting that "it's just music", but that's not true in all cases."

I agree. Music is so much more than that. It is a means of expression, and for a Christian (just like everything else) it is for the advancement of God's Kingdom. You may not listen to Christian Metal simply because you don't agree with the principle. But I can guarantee that there are thousands of people, who would ever go to Church or much less read a Bible, being exposed to the Message of God! Much like you posting here. I doubt you read a Bible, if at all, but you are being exposed to scripture all the time--like it or not. This is the purpose of bands like Impending Doom, For Today, As I Lay Dying, Becoming the Archetype, War of Ages etc.. Their love of God is what drives them as musicians, and it will show in their songs, and will trickle down to their listeners who would normally never hear the message of God.

As for the other points, saying what is passion is purely subjective and relativistic. It is the content of content and motives for the music that have any real objectivity.

Adam said...

"I agree. Music is so much more than that."

Well, I think it depends on the music. But what I was thinking of was something like Gospel music. Now that's music that is supposed to come from or be related to the Gospel's right? So, even if I played some music that sounded like Gospel music, but made it all about Satan, to me that's not really Gospel Music. Same goes for something like Black Metal, Christians playing Black Metal would be like Satanists playing Gospel Music... it just doesn't meet how the genre is defined.

"As for the other points, saying what is passion is purely subjective and relativistic. It is the content of content and motives for the music that have any real objectivity."

I'm not so sure, you outlined in your post similar observations, that the music is merely a medium to convey God's message. My point was that God's message was first. Do you see what I'm trying to say?

P.S. For the record I have read the Bible. I've read commentaries related to it, and other Christian literature. I don't believe in blindly speaking about issues or thinking about something one sided.